close menu

You could be eligible for British citizenship

by John Dunn | Jan 20, 2017
  • Since 13 January 2010, individuals with British born mothers have been able to gain UK citizenship through registration. If you qualify under section 4C of the British Nationality Act of 1948, you no longer need to apply via the standard Ancestral visa route to become a British citizen.
  • British citizenship

    British citizenship by birth and British citizenship by descent

    There is a difference between citizenship that is passed on by descent and British citizenship by birth. Someone who is British by birth is either born in the UK or in British territory. This is different to someone who “inherits” their British citizenship by descent.

    Citizenship by descent occurs when a parent passes their British citizenship to their child even though that child was born outside of the United Kingdom.

    Due to outdated laws, only fathers were legally capable of passing on British citizenship to children who were born outside the UK. The 2010 amendment to UK immigration legislation was based on the logic that individuals with British-born mothers should have the same rights.

    Section 4C thus sets women as equal in the eyes of the law, giving them the opportunity to pass on British citizenship by descent.

    An important note

    Once your child has been granted citizenship by descent, it will be very difficult for them to pass this on to their children by descent. There will, however, be other avenues for their children (your grandchildren) to pursue.

    Chat to an immigration adviser or leave a question in the comments section below and we’ll help you figure out what you and your family’s options are.

    British citizenship and children born outside the UK

    There’s good news for current and prospective parents. If you hold British citizenship and you’re planning to have a child, you could be able to register any children born outside the United Kingdom for British citizenship by descent.

    As of 2010, your child’s birth can be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act of 1981. You will have to do this before your child turns 18.

    The opportunities for working, living and travelling in the UK and the rest of the world on a UK passport are immense, making this an exciting opportunity. This remains true regardless of whether Brexit requires the UK giving up free movement across the EU.

    Get help with your British citizenship application. Our citizenship experts based in London, Melbourne and Cape Town will help you every step of the way. Email us on

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.