close menu

Life after graduation: Switching from your Tier 4 student visa

by John Dunn | Oct 28, 2016
  • You’ve completed your university courses, but you’re not quite ready to leave the UK. Not to worry, there are a few visa options available to help you stay in the country.
  • 86_UK-nabs-best-passport-in-the-world-for-unrestricted-travel

    Tier 2 (General) visa

    If you’ve had a job offer from a sponsor employer in the UK, it will be relatively easy to get your hands on a Tier 2 visa.

    Once you have a sponsor all you need to do is satisfy the general requirements for the Tier 2 visa, namely:

    • Be appointed to a position that requires a relatively high level of skill
    • Earn £20,800 per year (this amount is set to change to £25,000 in April 2017)

    Usually there are a limited number of Tier 2 visas issued every year, but because you would apply from within the UK, this limit does not apply to you. Another advantage is that your employer won’t have to look for a UK citizen to fill the position before employing you.

    Find out more about the Tier 2 visa requirements, fees and obtaining indefinite leave to remain here.

    Another student visa

    You may decide that you’d like to continue studying in the UK. In this case, you may extend your Tier 4 visa.

    The main requirements for the extension are that you must:

    • Show you are progressing in your studies, e.g. moving from Bachelors to Masters level
    • Provide Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies from your university

    Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa

    If you’ve got entrepreneurial spirit and access to £200,000 to start a new business, the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur visa) may be an option for you.

    You will need to leave the UK to apply for this visa, unless you have £50,000 from one or more of the following sources:

    • An entrepreneurial seeding fund endorsed by UK Trade and Investment
    • A UK government department funding the set up or expansion of UK businesses
    • A venture capital firm registered with the Financial Conduct Authority

    We can help you organise your Tier 1 visa if you have access to the necessary funds.

    Alternatively, our sister company, Sable International, can pair you with a pre-qualified business through the Tier 1 Visa Entrepreneur Programme. This route guarantees that your investment will be profitable and gets you closer to your goal of UK residency.

    Spouse/Partner visa

    UK citizen

    If you’re married to, in a civil partnership (or permanent relationship) with a UK citizen or person with the right to remain in the UK, you may apply for a spouse visa.

    You must be able to prove that you have been in a genuine relationship. So, you’ll have to prove that you’ve either lived together, had children together or shared a bank account.

    A spouse visa will give you the right to live, work or study in the UK. However, your spouse will have to meet the minimum income threshold of £18,600 to prove that they can support both of you.

    EEA citizen

    Most of the same rules apply to the spouse of an EEA citizen as a UK citizen. However, you won’t need to take the English language test or meet the financial requirements for the UK spouse visa.

    If meet the requirements and obtain this visa, your permit will be valid for five years.

    Dependant visa

    If you have a spouse or partner who holds a valid UK visa, you may apply to become a dependant on their visa, as long as you meet the necessary requirements.

    You may apply for a dependant visa from within the UK.

    Whether you’ve landed your dream job, found the love of your life or want to start your own business, we can help you secure a UK visa. Call us on +44(0) 20 7759 7527 or pop us an email.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.