close menu

Paying into a UK pension? Don’t forget to claim your tax refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jul 10, 2017
  • Whether you receive a state, company or personal pension through PAYE in the UK, there are a number of reasons why you may end up overpaying tax. However, many people who have a pension in the UK are unaware that they are due a tax refund. The good news is that there could be a cheque waiting for you at HMRC, and we can help you get it.
  • Tax refunds for pensioners

    Could you have paid too much tax?

    Some of the most common reasons that people end up paying too much tax are the following:

    • Your pension provider has applied the incorrect tax code to you
    • Your pension provider has incorrect personal information for you
    • HMRC are unaware that your taxable state benefits or other income has reduced
    • You have more than one tax code as you have several pensions or employment income
    • You’ve taken cash or a lump sum that’s partly tax-free from your pension

    If any of the following apply to you, you could be due a tax refund.

    Claiming your tax refund

    The way in which you claim your tax refund will depend your type of pension. If you have a private pension, your pension provider may pay you back automatically if you pay too much tax.

    If your pension provider doesn’t pay you back automatically, HMRC will usually send you a P800 tax calculation by the end of September.

    If you have taken cash or a lump sum from your pension, you will either have to fill in form P53 (if you have a defined benefit scheme) or form P53Z (if you have a defined contribution scheme, and you have other taxable income). Our sister company, Sable International, has a wealth division that can assist you with any of your complex tax-related queries.

    If you have retired and only get the State pension, you will need to fill in form P50 on the website in order to apply for your tax refund.

    Unsure of whether you are due a tax refund? Our tax refunds team can help you with every aspect of claiming your refund. Get in touch with us on +44 (0) 20 7759 7560 or for expert advice and assistance.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.