close menu

Getting married in the UK? You may need a Marriage Visitor visa

by John Dunn | Nov 21, 2017
  • Boasting rolling green hills, ancient churches and one of the most popular cities for overseas travel, it’s easy to see why thousands of people from around the world choose to get married in the UK. If you’re getting married in the UK, and you or your partner don’t already have a valid UK visa, you can apply for a Marriage Visitor visa which will let you get hitched in the UK.
  • couple-marriage

    What is a Marriage Visitor visa?

    If you and your partner are planning on getting married in the UK, but aren’t going to stay or settle there afterwards, you’re both going to need a Marriage Visitor visa. This visa allows you to stay in the UK for six months, and marry or enter into a civil partnership during this time. You may get married in any location in the UK licensed for this purpose.

    How do you get one?

    To qualify for a Marriage Visitor visa, you will need to prove that you’re:

    • At least 18 years old
    • In a genuine relationship
    • Leaving the UK at the end of your visit
    • Visiting the UK for six months only
    • Legally able to marry or enter into a civil partnership
    • Able to meet the cost of your return or onward journey
    • Not in transit to a country outside the UK

    You will need to provide relevant documentation as evidence to support all of the above. It is crucial that you submit the correct documentary evidence, otherwise your application will likely be denied. If you were previously married, you will also have to provide documents to prove that your previous marriage is over.

    The earliest you can apply for this visa is three months before your intended date of travel to the UK.

    Is this the best option for you and your partner?

    There are certain restrictions that apply to the Marriage Visitor visa. You may not:

    • Access UK public funds
    • Bring dependants with you (they must apply separately)
    • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits
    • Work (except for permitted activities relating to your work)
    • Study for more than 30 days

    We often find that in cases where clients wish to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa, there are other visas that are more suitable for the applicant and their partner. Our specialist immigration advisors can assess your options to decide which visa will best meet your immediate and long-term needs.

    If you’re interested in assessing your visa options, get in touch with our immigration specialists on or +44 (0) 207759 5330.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.