close menu

How to create a VAT invoice

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Oct 11, 2016
  • Whether you are a freelancer, a sole-trader or a contractor in the UK, it’s essential to know how to create a valid VAT invoice. We share a few basic facts and tips to help you out.
  • VAT invoice

    The basics

    Value added Tax (VAT) is charged on sales made. As a standard VAT-registered business, you charge VAT on sales and can claim VAT on purchases made from other VAT-registered businesses.

    VAT invoices are not the same as:

    • Pro-forma invoices
    • Invoices that include the phrase “this is not a tax invoice”
    • Statements
    • Delivery notes
    • Customer orders
    • Quotations

    What must be included on a VAT invoice?

    A VAT invoice must include the following to be recognised by HMRC:

    • A unique, sequential invoice number
    • Your name or trading name and address
    • Your VAT registration number
    • The invoice date
    • The time of supply, also referred to as “tax point”, if this is different from the date above
    • The customer’s name or trading name and address
    • A description of the goods or services supplied

    In addition to this general information, you’ll need to show a breakdown for each different item or service listed on the invoice:

    • Unit price excluding VAT
    • Quantity of goods or the details of the service
    • Rate of VAT that applies to the item or service
    • Total amount payable, excluding VAT
    • Rate of any cash discount, if applicable
    • Total amount of VAT charged

    When can you use a simplified VAT invoice?

    If you need to invoice for goods or services for £250 or less, including VAT, you are able to supply a simplified invoice. This will need to show:

    • Your name and address
    • Your VAT registration number
    • The time of supply (tax point)
    • A description of the goods or services

    There’s better news still – you don’t need to issue a VAT invoice if:

    • Your invoice only lists exempt or zero-ratedsales within the UK
    • You’re giving goods as a gift
    • You sell goods under aVAT second-hand margin scheme
    • Your customer operates a self-billing arrangement

    Make sure you’re on the right side of HMRC. Our team of experienced accountants are able to guide you, so you can get down to business. Contact us on +44 (0) 808 141 1643 to get started.

    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.