close menu

How to claim a teacher tax rebate

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Sep 28, 2016
  • If you’re a teacher in the UK, you may be due a tax refund from HMRC. Amongst others things, you could claim for professional body membership fees, specialist clothing, equipment and the use of your car for work purposes.
  • Teacher tax rebate

    Who is eligible?

    Anyone working as a teacher or in the education profession could be eligible.

    What can you claim for?

    If you are required to buy any items or pay for any services as a result of your employment, it’s likely that you will be able to reclaim the tax.

    Tax relief is provided for the following:

    • Cleaning costs of specialised clothing
    • Certain tools or equipment needed for your work and not paid for by your employer
    • Costs for using your own vehicle for work purposes, for instance, when transporting pupils

    Uniforms, specialist clothing and subscription fees to professional bodies are also claimable.

    Union subscription relief

    If you’ve paid any fees to the NUT, NASUWT, ATL, NAHT, NPH, Voice, EIS, ASCL, UCU or another approved body, you are entitled to tax relief. Fees paid to the General Teaching Council and the Institute for Learning can also be claimed. If you’re not sure any of the fees you’re paying qualifies get in touch with one of our tax refund experts and they’ll sort you out

    PE or sportswear

    If you teach Physical Education or sports lessons, you may claim a rebate for the cost of any sports clothing you buy.

    How do you claim a teacher tax rebate?

    It’s pretty simple. Just fill out our online Tax Refund Claim Form.

    When you get your Claim Pack, fill it out and return it to us along with your P60s and P45s. If you still need to get these documents, we can help you with that too.

    It’s worth noting that as many of the allowable tax deductions are generally of low value, with fuel costs being the biggest contributor to a decent rebate. If you have doubts about whether you could be due a rebate, give us a call.

    What will it cost?

    We work on a strict no refund, no fee policy. If you don’t get anything back, you don’t pay a cent. We charge a low 15% commission on successful claims. So you have nothing to lose and possibly hundreds of Pounds to gain.

    Don’t be one of the thousands who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their tax rebate. Speak to a qualified consultant on +44 (0) 80 8141 5503 or email us for a free assessment.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.