close menu

How to claim a construction worker tax rebate quickly and easily

by John Dunn | Jul 31, 2014
  • Does the thought of claiming a tax refund feel similar to slamming a mallet down onto the tenderest part of your thumb? It really doesn’t have to be that way, especially if you’re contracting in the UK’s construction sector.
  • Tax refunds

    By law, contractors working in the UK’s construction industry are obliged to submit a tax return each year. This means you could be eligible for a substantial tax refund. Not only can you claim for the last four years (if you haven’t claimed during that time), you could also save on your next tax payment, if we find that you should be on a different tax code.

    Did you know that you can more than likely claim for any specialised or protective clothing you’ve purchased for your job, but also for the cost of cleaning or repairing these work clothes?

    If you use your own vehicle and pay for your own fuel, you could claim these travel costs back too. The same goes for any tools or equipment needed for your work (provided it has not paid for by your employer of course).

    So how do you go about getting your hands on what is essentially your money? Contrary to what you might think, the process is fairly simple if you follow these three steps.

    1. Fill out the online application form

    The first step is simply to fill out the online application form. We need this quick information to get an idea of how much of your money might be lying unclaimed at HMRC. This shouldn’t take longer than three minutes and won’t cost you a cent. Once you have filled out the online application, you can also get an idea of how much you might receive, via our tax refund calculator.

    2. Put together your claim pack

    Getting together the right paperwork is the part that sounds most dreary, but the instructions will be very clear and your refund consultant is just a phone call away. For this part of the process, you will need your relevant P60s and P45s for the years you are claiming for. If you don’t have them all, send an email or make a phone call and they should be in your possession in no time. And if you need help getting your hands on them, your 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant can assist you with that too.

    3. Relax and let us do the rest

    Once you’ve mailed the claim pack to our offices, your work is done. From there it’s up to us. We’ll submit your claim and, if necessary, liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Our experience, coupled with a good working relationship with HMRC, allows us to do this quickly and efficiently. 1st Contact Tax Refunds also works on a strict no-refund, no-fee policy. So if your claim is not successful, the only expense you’ll incur is the price of a stamp. If you are no longer working in the UK, you can still submit a claim, and we’ll transfer your money to the country of your choice.

    Get the ball rolling today by speaking to a qualified 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on +44 (0) 808 141 5503 or visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for a free assessment.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.