close menu

Healthcare workers: Your guide to claiming a professional tax rebate

by John Dunn | Aug 12, 2014
  • If you’re a nurse, midwife, doctor, dentist or other professional working in the UK’s healthcare industry, you could be due a professional tax rebate. Here’s how to check if you’re eligible.
  • Tax refunds

    What can you claim for? 

    Tax claims are not only limited to the most recent tax year, but to the last four tax years as well. This means that you can submit a claim for expenses incurred over the past four tax years, provided you haven’t claimed during this period.

    Anyone working in the healthcare profession could be eligible. If you wear a uniform or protective clothing, subscribe to any professional bodies or use your car for work purposes, chances are you will be eligible for a refund.

    For example, if you wear a uniform or protective clothing and pay for the cleaning yourself, you could be reimbursed for these cleaning costs. In certain instances, the costs of nurses’ tights and shoes will be refunded – HMRC currently allows an amount of £6 for tights and £12 for shoes per tax year.

    By the same token, if you use your car for work purposes, for instance to visit or drop off medicine for a patient, you could be eligible for a rebate on these travel costs.

    Subscriptions to professional bodies can also be reimbursed as part of your professional tax rebate. These include fees paid to Unison, Royal College of Nursing (RCN), Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), Association of British Paediatric Nurses (ABPN), Association of Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners (AOHP), UK MS Specialist Nurses Association (UKMSSNA), Neonatal Nurses Association (NNA), Royal College of Midwives (RCM) and the Association of Radical Midwives (ARM).

    How do I claim?

    The first step is simply to fill out our online application form. From there, we’ll send you a Claim Pack, which you’ll need to return to us along with your P60s and P45s.

    Don’t be one of the thousands of healthcare workers who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their healthcare tax rebate. Speak to a qualified 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on +44 (0) 808 141 5503 or visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for a free assessment.

    • man-on-carousal
      Don’t leave the airport without it: 6 tips to ensure you hold on to your luggage
      Sep 22, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • container-ship-and-plane
      By sea, air or road: Which method of shipment is right for you?
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • atm-hand-cards-bank
      How to open a bank account in the UK
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy-man-with-pounds
      Recently stopped working? You might have a tax refund waiting for you
      Sep 13, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • london-big-ben-royal-guard-pattern
      How to ace your UK citizenship tests
      Aug 23, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.