close menu

Expand your business to Australia

by Sam Hopwood | Mar 31, 2016
  • The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is a popular visa category for applicants who are sponsored by an approved Australian company. What most applicants are unaware of is that this visa can also be used by overseas businesses wishing to expand into Australia and employ foreign citizens.
  • Expand your business to Australia

    A prospective overseas business must demonstrate that they are lawfully operating outside of Australia and that the business has a legitimate need to establish an Australian operation.

    In order to prove that the company has a legitimate need to operate in Australia, the owners must produce a detailed business plan explaining the expansion strategy.

    This legitimate need will further be established where the owners can produce evidence of either:

    • Contractual agreements for the supply of goods and services to Australian-based businesses, indicating that local businesses would benefit from a local operation being established, or
    • An agreement to enter into a joint venture between the overseas business and an Australian-based entity

    Once the overseas business has been classified as a sponsor, it may then nominate positions for which foreign citizens may apply. The nomination application must demonstrate that the position requires suitable skills and complies with local labour market conditions, such as salary and working conditions.

    There are no age restrictions for this visa and the English language requirements are greatly reduced in comparison to other visa categories. However, applicants must still demonstrate that they have the suitable skills, qualifications and experience the position requires.

    The 457 visa is a temporary visa, which allows successful applicants to live and work in Australia for four years. After this time, the holder can apply for an extension.

    If the employee has lived and worked in Australia for two years and meets all of the relevant criteria, they may apply for permanent residence.

    Think you might qualify for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)? Take our online visa assessment now. Have questions? Our team is ready to help. Email us or call us on +61 3 8651 4500.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.