close menu

Everything you’ll need to get your tax refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Jun 16, 2016
  • With the tax season coming to an end, it’s the best time to apply to reclaim any tax you may have overpaid in the last tax year. You can apply to get tax back from the past four tax years, if you haven’t done so already. If you’re looking to put in a claim, you’ll need a P60.
  • Tax refund EYNTK

    What is a P60?

    A P60 is a tax form also known as an “End of Year Certificate”. It contains a summary of your pay and tax details for the tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year.

    The person or company who employs you on the last day of the tax year is responsible for giving you your P60 by 31 May – either on paper or electronically. This form is necessary to claim back overpaid tax and complete your Self Assessment tax return; it also serves as proof of income if you’re applying for a loan or mortgage.

    If your employer hasn’t given you a copy of your P60, you need to ask them for it as soon as possible.

    Here’s an example of the P60 End of Year Certificate:

    Got your documents? Get your tax back

    Once you’ve received your P60, you can start the process of reclaiming your overpaid tax. There are a few things you’ll need to do before you can start the claim process:

    1. Use a tax rebate calculator to check whether you’re due a refund
    2. Find out the details of any taxable benefits and taxable income you received

    If you worked for an employer for part of the tax year and are not still working for them on 5 April, you will receive a P45 instead of a P60. This form is usually given to you on your final day of employment and it can also be used when claiming tax refund.

    If you have misplaced your P45 or P60, you can either contact a tax agent to track down the forms on your behalf or you can request a statement of earnings from your previous employer.

    When you’ve got all of the required documents, you can apply for your tax refund. If you’d rather skip the paperwork, 1st Contact Tax Refunds can lodge the claim on your behalf. We’ll even source any missing tax documents for you.

    Use our Tax Refund Calculator to find out how much tax you can claim. If you know that you’re eligible to claim a rebate, you can fill out our online claim application form or give one of our consultants a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7560.

    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.