close menu

Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa

by John Dunn | Jul 20, 2017
  • So, you’re living in the UK on a spouse visa, and beyond the occasional skirmish over who has to hang up the laundry, everything between you and your partner has been peachy. However, there is a looming cloud on the horizon: Your partner visa is going to expire and if not renewed you could be sent back to your home country. Fret not, we’ve got you covered. Below is a guide on how to make sure you secure an extension for your partner visa.
  • happy young couple

    Preparation is key

    The UK spouse visa is granted for an initial period of two years and nine months. After which, you’ll need to extend your visa. The key thing to remember is that you must apply to extend your spouse visa before it expires, however, you can only apply for an extension once you have held your visa for two years and six months.

    This means you have a narrow three-month band to get this admin sorted. You must set yourself reminders if you’re going to do it yourself, or you must find a reliable visa consultant to remind you well in advance. By doing this you don’t have to worry about missing the deadline.

    Stay on top of the financial requirement

    It’s true, the financial requirements for UK partner visas are onerous – failing to meet them can cause you massive heartache down the line.

    When applying for your extension, you will be required to show you can meet the financial requirement. You will need to show that your UK partner has an annual gross income of £18,600, and cash savings of £62,500. The documents needed to satisfy this requirement are extensive so it’s best to get started way in advance.

    The Home Office has recently introduced changes for when children are involved in applications. In these cases, the best interest of the children will be the primary consideration in the application. This means that the success or failure of your application relies heavily on how it is presented. We strongly recommend you speak to a UK visa expert to ensure everything goes smoothly.

    How to prove your love… To the Home Office

    The Home Office need to see evidence that you and your partner have been living together continuously in the UK if they are going to grant you an extension. Official documentation such as council tax bills, utility bills and bank statements can act as evidence of your cohabitation.

    Documents should be addressed to both you and your partner, and must cover the two-year period preceding your extension application. If you’re unsure of what documents you need, drop us an email and we’ll get you sorted.

    You will need to provide physical copies of statements and bills as well as print outs of any online statements; so it’s best you have statements and bills sent to you via post.


    You may not have spent more than 180 days outside of the UK in any 12-month period in order to extend your visa, and in the 2.5 years preceding your indefinite leave to remain (ILR) application.

    There is a very important difference between the time allowed outside the UK when comparing the ILR and British citizenship requirements. You are allowed to be outside of the UK for up to 180 days in any given year for the ILR application, but you cannot be outside of the UK for more than 90 days in any 12-month period in the five years preceding your naturalisation application.

    This is good to keep in mind throughout the time you are on your visa in the UK.

    Stay living in the UK, extend your visa. Our immigration experts can ensure you have everything in order. Give us a call on +44 (0) 20 7759 7527 or get in touch via email on

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.