close menu

Could you have paid too much tax?

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Apr 25, 2016
  • If you’ve changed jobs, earnings or benefits during the last tax year, you could be entitled to a tax refund. It’s always great to have a little extra cash in your back pocket, so we’ve rounded up the 10 most common ways that you could have paid too much tax.
  • Could you have paid too much tax

    Some credits, such as the PAYE tax credit, are given automatically, while others need to be claimed. If you have overpaid on tax in any way, you can claim for payments made over the past four years.

    Below are the most common scenarios in which you could have paid too much tax:

    1. You started a new job and had an emergency tax code for any period of time. If you have worked with a tax code starting with BR and OT, you will very likely be due a tax refund. Tax codes 1100L W1, 1100L M1 and 1100L X will generally result in the correct amount of tax being paid, but it is always worth checking for overpayments under these codes.
    2. Your employer was using the wrong tax code. You can find your tax code on your P2 Notice of Coding, your P45, or on your wages or pension payslip.
    1. You were not employed for the full year.
    1. You are or were a student who only worked during holidays and didn’t complete form P38S.
    1. You had more than one job at the same time.
    1. You had other income, which was taxed using your PAYE code. An example of this could be where HMRC has attempted to collect the tax due on savings or rental income via your PAYE code, but the amount that has been included in the code is too high.
    1. You stopped working and didn’t receive any taxable earnings or benefits for the rest of the year.
    1. Your employment circumstances changed. For example, you retired, were made redundant or became self-employed.
    1. You have taken a pension in the form of a lump sum rather than a small monthly amount. This often results in the tax paid on the lump sum being higher than the basic rate of tax.
    1. If you have worked as a subcontractor in the construction industry on the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) basis. In this case, you would have paid tax in advance as the contractor usually deducts a proportion of the money due to their subcontractor at source. The deducted amount is then passed directly to HMRC and counts towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance. Please note that CIS requires a Self-Assessment tax return to be filed.

    How do you get your money back?

    Quite easily. Complete this form, send us a few signed documents, and we’ll do the rest. No need to worry about long queues or endless phone calls. Get your money back from the comfort of your couch.

    We operate on a strict no refund, no fee policy – so you have nothing to lose and possibly hundreds of Pounds to gain.

    Ready to get started? Fill out our online tax refund assessment form as a guideline of what you might be owed, or call us on +44 (0) 808 141 5503.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.