close menu

A guide to UK tax forms P45, P60 and P11D

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Mar 27, 2014
  • When you apply for a tax refund, you’ll need certain forms in order for everything to run smoothly. These UK tax forms are usually given to you by your employer or sent to HMRC , depending on your circumstances. Here you'll find a quick guide to forms P45, P60 and P11D.
  • 66_A-guide-to-UK-tax-forms-P45,-P60-and-P11D

    A P45 form is given to you by your employer when you stop working for them. This form shows how much tax you’ve paid on your salary during the relevant tax year, and determines if you’ve overpaid tax and are due a refund.

    A P45 has four parts (Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3). Your employer sends Part 1 to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and you hold on to the other parts. You will then give parts two and three to your new employer (or to Jobcentre Plus if you’re unemployed). Part 1A must be kept safe for your own records.

    By law, your employer must give you a P45, so make sure you receive one.


    Your P60 form can be paper or electronic and shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary during the tax year (6 April to 5 April). This form is also used to calculate how much tax you paid and needs to be submitted in order to claim back overpaid tax, to apply for tax credits, or to provide proof of your income if you apply for a loan or mortgage.

    Your employer must issue your P60 form by 31 May.


    Your employer needs to send a P11D to HMRC if you receive any ‘benefits in kind’ (e.g. a company car), and if your earnings (including the value of company benefits) total a minimum of £8,500 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). The P11D records how much each benefit is worth; you should either receive a copy of the form or a notice of what was recorded and reflected on the form.

    Your employer must submit your P11D by no later than 6 July.

    If you need any assistance completing your tax return, please contact 1st Contact Tax Refunds. 1st Contact offers a no refund, no fee policy. If you're not due a refund, we won’t charge you any fees.  

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.