close menu

4 Top Reasons People don’t Claim their Tax Refund

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Apr 12, 2012
  • It is estimated that 1 in 3 people who work or have worked in the UK are due tax back and there are literally million of Pounds lying at Home Office waiting to be claimed.
  • 51_4-Top-Reasons-People-dont-Claim-their-Tax-Refund

    Who wouldn’t want an average of £850 paid back to them?

    Why is this money not being claimed? We look at the top 4 reasons people don’t claim their tax rebates and offer some advice for claiming YOUR overpaid tax back!

    1. Rebates are for visitors and foreigners

    Many UK residents are under the mistaken impression that tax rebates are for foreigners who work in the UK for a short time. The truth is ANYONE who has worked in the UK could be due a tax rebate. These are a few of the reasons you may be entitled to apply for a tax refund:

    1. If you have paid Emergency Tax in the last 4 years
    2. If you’ve left the UK before the end of a tax year (6 April to 5 May)
    3. If you’ve had more than 1 employer in a tax year
    4. If you’ve worked for only part of a tax year
    5. If you have been on an incorrect Tax code at any point in the last 4 years
    6. If you’ve had two or more jobs concurrently

    If any of these apply to you, you may well have overpaid tax and be due a rebate!

    2. It is just not worth the effort

    Did you know that the average claimed back is in the region of £850? Don’t let a bit of paperwork put you off taking back what is rightfully yours. If you are properly prepared, then it needn’t be a cumbersome process, especially if you enlist the help of 1st Contact Tax Refunds, who work on a no refund – no fee policy! This is what you will need. It may seem like a lot, but once you’ve got your ducks in a row, the process is easy and you could have your money within a few weeks!

    • You will need to give exact information of the companies you have worked for in the previous 4 tax years.
    • You will need to supply P60’s and P45’s from these jobs.
    • If these cannot be obtained, you will then need to ask for a Statement of Earnings from the HR Department of the companies you worked for.
    • You will need to supply us with your National Insurance number.

    3. I don’t have the correct forms

    Many people have tried once to apply for a rebate, only to find that they don’t have a P60 or P45, and given up!

    If you don’t have P60’s or P45’s from your previous employers, a 1st Contact Tax Refund consultant can assist you by applying for these on your behalf. If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you will have to apply for and receive your NI number before you can claim back your overpaid tax – yes, a 1st Contact Consultant can help you with that too!

    4. It’s too late

    Many people assume that if they have not tried to claim tax back for the previous tax year, it’s too late. This is not true - you may claim your overpaid tax back for the previous 4 tax years, which could add up to quite a bit of money in your pocket!

    Use the Industry Leaders to claim your money back

    Here are some of the many reasons 1st Contact Tax Refunds are the best in the business and your best chance at receiving your money back with a minimum amount of hassle on your part:

    • Only 12.5 % commission on successful claims
    • We are the UK’s largest tax agent
    • We have 15 years experience in tax claim management
    • ATA accredited, providing maximum protection for your claim
    • Highly individualised service to customers with regular updates
    • Guarantee of a successful claim if you are due a refund
    • Avoid the admin hassle associated with managing your claim
    • No need to wait in queues at HMRC
    • We track the progress of your claim on your behalf

    Even with our efficient service and direct line to HMCR, it can take up to 6 weeks before you receive your hands on the pounds due to you.

    Call a 1st Contact Tax Refund Consultant on 0808 141 5503 as soon as possible - let’s get the ball rolling today!

    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Bulldozer through maze
      How to open a UK bank account as an Australian
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • work environment
      Why UK contractors don’t trust HMRC’s online IR35 calculator
      Jul 11, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.