close menu

A visa for skilled employment in the UK: The UK Tier 2 visa

If you have been offered short or long term skilled employment in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for a Tier 2 visa. We'll ensure that all your documents in order so that you have the best chance of success when applying.

You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if:

  • You have a job offer for a skilled position in the UK
  • You’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

Who can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa?

The Tier 2 visa will allow you to live and work in the UK as long as you have been offered permanent employment and your employer is willing to sponsor you.

Some professions - such as engineering, healthcare and teaching - are in such high demand in the UK that a fast-tracked application process has been created for these workers.

If your occupation is not on the shortage list, your employer must be able to demonstrate that the role cannot be filled by a suitably qualified UK resident.

To find out whether your occupation is on the shortage list, or if you need help completing the online UK visa assessment, contact us to speak to one of our consultants

How does it work?

A Tier 2 (General) visa is a points-based category. Points are awarded for the following:

  • Qualifications
  • Future expected earnings
  • Sponsorship
  • English language skills
  • Available maintenance (funds)

To be eligible for the Tier 2 work permit, you must have the necessary qualifications required for the position you have been granted. The salary offered by your employer must exceed £30,000, but this may vary depending on your occupation.

What are the steps?

There are three main steps involved in lodging an application for a Tier 2 visa.

 Step 1: Sponsorship licence

The first stage is undertaken by the employer. Your employer will apply directly to UK Visas and Immigration for a sponsorship licence and will be assessed accordingly. 

Step 2: Certificate of sponsorship

An approved sponsor applies for a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) for the position they would like a non-resident worker to fill. Once a CoS is assigned, the migrant may apply for their visa.

Step 3: Applying for the Tier 2 (General) visa

In this final stage, the prospective employee will submit a visa application using their unique CoS number and proof that they meet the Tier 2 visa requirements. 

We'll help you apply for a UK tier 2 visa

We can help your Tier 2 application in two ways:

  • Our full service covers guidance and support in applying for both the sponsor license and certificate of sponsorship, including advice and guidance on the advertising requirements, as well as representation in the Tier 2 visa application.
  • Our Tier 2 entry-clearance service covers advice and representation in the Tier 2 visa application.

You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if:

  • You have a job offer for a skilled position in the UK
  • You’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland

We have some exciting news
for all our visas clients...

1st Contact Visas is rebranding to Sable International!

For the last 18 months we've been slowly merging with our big brother, Sable International. Over the next year we're going to complete that merger. This will in no way affect your visa, ILR, citizenship, passport or work permit applications.

Your caseworker will not be going anywhere as the entire 1st Contact team will be in the same roles at Sable International. You'll still get that great 1st Contact Visas service, just under a new name.

We'll be keeping you in the loop as we prepare for the next exciting phase in this rebranding.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us directly.

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.