close menu

EEA family permits and residency cards

If you are a citizen of a European Economic Area (EEA) country, you don’t need an EEA family permit or a registration card to live and work in the UK.

However, a residence card can be a useful supporting document if you wish to bring a non-EEA partner or family member with you to the UK or if you want to apply for future visas or permits.

Live and work in the UK on a EEA family permit

The EEA family or “extended” family permit will allow you quick and easy access to the UK if you are travelling to join your EEA national partner or family member.

 General permit criteria:

  • You must be from outside the EEA
  • You must be a family or "extended" family member of an EEA national

As a non-EEA national applying for an EEA family permit, you will only be able to apply if the EEA citizen you are joining in the UK is:

  • Already living in the UK
  • Travelling with you to the UK within the next six months

If the EEA citizen you are joining has been in the UK for over three months, then he or she will need to be a “qualified person”. This means they are working, studying, self-sufficient or looking for work in the UK, or hold permanent right of residence.

Residence card

Once you have been given permission to join your partner in the UK you can apply for a residence card. It will make travelling abroad much easier and will show potential employers that you are able to work in the UK.

Countries within the European Economic Area (EEA) – not including the UK

Austria Germany Poland
Belgium Greece Portugal
Bulgaria Hungary Romania
Croatia Ireland Slovakia
Republic of Cyprus Italy Slovenia
Czech Republic Latvia Spain
Denmark Lithuania Sweden
Estonia Luxembourg Iceland
Finland Malta Liechtenstein
France Netherlands Norway

Switzerland is not part of the EEA but operates a single market. Swiss nationals possess the same rights as EEA members when it comes to living and working in the UK.

We can assist you with any UK immigration queries. Call now to speak to one of our experienced consultants, or take our online assessment to see if your visa status. 

Contact a visa consultant for help with your residence card application.

We have some exciting news
for all our visas clients...

1st Contact Visas is rebranding to Sable International!

For the last 18 months we've been slowly merging with our big brother, Sable International. Over the next year we're going to complete that merger. This will in no way affect your visa, ILR, citizenship, passport or work permit applications.

Your caseworker will not be going anywhere as the entire 1st Contact team will be in the same roles at Sable International. You'll still get that great 1st Contact Visas service, just under a new name.

We'll be keeping you in the loop as we prepare for the next exciting phase in this rebranding.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us directly.

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.