close menu

UK teacher tax rebate (Claim today)

If you are a teacher or education professional working in the UK, you may be due a tax refund from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). Amongst others, you can claim professional body membership fees, specialist clothing, equipment and the use of your car for work purposes.



Consultants ready to help you claim your teacher tax rebate

We can assist you in making a claim for up to four years. With a direct line to HMRC and dedicated, trained consultants, we make the process of claiming your teacher tax refund quick and hassle-free.

Below is everything you need to know about getting the maximum tax refund in the UK.

Are you eligible?

Anyone working in the education profession could be eligible. If you wear a uniform or specialist clothing of any sort or subscribe to any professional bodies, you could be eligible for teacher’s tax relief.

What can you claim for?

Tax relief may be claimed for the following:

  • Cleaning costs of specialised clothing
  • Buying or replacing of specialised clothing
  • Union and professional fees
  • Certain tools or equipment needed for your work and not paid for by your employer
  • Costs for using your own vehicle for work purposes, for instance, when transporting pupils

How do I claim?

The first step is to fill out the online Tax Refund Claim Form. Then we will send you our Claim Pack which you will need to send back, along with your P60s and P45s. If you need help obtaining these documents, your 1st Contact Tax Refund consultant can assist you with that too.

What will it cost?

We work on a strict no refund, no fee policy and charge a low 15% commission for a successful claim. So, should you be eligible for a tax rebate, you have nothing to lose and hundreds of Pounds to gain.

Don’t be one of the thousands who miss out on substantial tax refunds by not claiming their tax rebate. Speak to a qualified consultant on +44 (0) 80 8141 5503 or email us for a free assessment.

Get an estimate on what you may be due with our tax return calculator:


Tax year | The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year (i.e. the 2012/2013 tax year ran from 6 April 2012 to 5 April 2013).
Gross pay | Add together the gross income from ALL employments you had during the tax year you are claiming for.
Expenses | Add together all your work-related expenses for the year you are claiming for. NB: please remember to keep all your invoices and receipts.
Tax paid | Add together the tax paid from ALL employments you had during the tax year you are claiming for. (This does not include National Insurance.) You can find this figure on your P60 form or final payslip for the year.
Don’t have your documents? Click here.

This tax refund calculator provides an estimate of your tax refund, based on the information you enter.

Tax refund due to you:



Other types of tax rebates

We have some exciting news
for all our 1st Contact clients...

1st Contact is rebranding to Sable International!

For the last 18 months we've been merging with our big brother, Sable International. By the end of the year, we're going to complete the rebrand.

The accountants, brokers, advisors and caseworkers that you are used to dealing with will not be going anywhere as the entire 1st Contact team will be in the same roles at Sable International. You'll still get that same great service, just under a new name.

We'll be keeping you in the loop as we prepare for the next exciting phase in this rebranding.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly.

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.