close menu

Q: Am I due a tax refund?

Every year more than 3.5 million people overpay tax in the UK. Don’t let the perceived hassle of claiming tax back stop you from applying for a tax refund - your hard-earned cash could be waiting for you with HMRC. Find out whether you qualify for a tax refund, below.


You might qualify for a tax refund if:

  • You are employed and had too much tax taken from your pay
  • You have sent a tax return and paid too much tax
  • You have worked in the UK and relocated abroad and still need to claim
  • You have stopped work
  • You have paid too much tax on pension payments
The UK tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year. #UKtaxrefund

4 simple steps to claiming your tax refund

  1. Obtain all your P60s and/or P45s from each of your employers (if you don't have your P60s and/or P45s, you can contact us and we'll help you get hold of the information)
  2. Calculate your tax refund via our online tax refund calculator
  3. Complete an online tax refund claim form
  4. Submit your claim form
If you run into any problems along the way, our Tax Refunds consultants are always on hand to help - just click on the live chat button at the bottom left of your screen!


Tutorial: Calculating your tax refund


Tax Refunds jargon buster:

  • Tax year: The tax year runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year.
  • Gross pay: The total gross income earned from all employment during the tax year.
  • Expenses: The total of all your work-related expenses for the year. Important: Remember to keep all your invoices and receipts.
  • Tax paid: Add together the tax paid from all employment during the tax year you are claiming for (this does not include National Insurance). You can find this figure on your P60 form or final payslip for the year.


Sandy's tax refund success story

Refund of £1,888 for Sandy

Sandy worked for a single media group for three years, from 2013 to 2016. She left the UK midway through 2016, but her employer taxed her income as if she had worked for the whole year, deducting too much tax. Sandy was able to claim back the difference between what she was liable for and what was deducted from her income; this resulted in a refund of £1,888. Sandy had the funds paid into her UK bank account.

Success story for tax return


We have some exciting news
for all our 1st Contact clients...

1st Contact is rebranding to Sable International!

For the last 18 months we've been merging with our big brother, Sable International. By the end of the year, we're going to complete the rebrand.

The accountants, brokers, advisors and caseworkers that you are used to dealing with will not be going anywhere as the entire 1st Contact team will be in the same roles at Sable International. You'll still get that same great service, just under a new name.

We'll be keeping you in the loop as we prepare for the next exciting phase in this rebranding.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly.

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.