close menu

You could be eligible for British citizenship

by John Dunn | Jan 20, 2017
  • Since 13 January 2010, individuals with British born mothers have been able to gain UK citizenship through registration. If you qualify under section 4C of the British Nationality Act of 1948, you no longer need to apply via the standard Ancestral visa route to become a British citizen.
  • British citizenship

    British citizenship by birth and British citizenship by descent

    There is a difference between citizenship that is passed on by descent and British citizenship by birth. Someone who is British by birth is either born in the UK or in British territory. This is different to someone who “inherits” their British citizenship by descent.

    Citizenship by descent occurs when a parent passes their British citizenship to their child even though that child was born outside of the United Kingdom.

    Due to outdated laws, only fathers were legally capable of passing on British citizenship to children who were born outside the UK. The 2010 amendment to UK immigration legislation was based on the logic that individuals with British-born mothers should have the same rights.

    Section 4C thus sets women as equal in the eyes of the law, giving them the opportunity to pass on British citizenship by descent.

    An important note

    Once your child has been granted citizenship by descent, it will be very difficult for them to pass this on to their children by descent. There will, however, be other avenues for their children (your grandchildren) to pursue.

    Chat to an immigration adviser or leave a question in the comments section below and we’ll help you figure out what you and your family’s options are.

    British citizenship and children born outside the UK

    There’s good news for current and prospective parents. If you hold British citizenship and you’re planning to have a child, you could be able to register any children born outside the United Kingdom for British citizenship by descent.

    As of 2010, your child’s birth can be registered under section 3(2) of the British Nationality Act of 1981. You will have to do this before your child turns 18.

    The opportunities for working, living and travelling in the UK and the rest of the world on a UK passport are immense, making this an exciting opportunity. This remains true regardless of whether Brexit requires the UK giving up free movement across the EU.

    Get help with your British citizenship application. Our citizenship experts based in London, Melbourne and Cape Town will help you every step of the way. Email us on

    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.