close menu

Travel update: UK transit visas

by John Dunn | Nov 20, 2014
  • From 1 December 2014, anyone holding a valid visa or residence permit for Australia, New Zealand, the United States or Canada will be exempt from obtaining a transit visa when passing through the UK.
  • Immigration

    You will have up to 24 hours to move on to your next destination at no extra cost as long as you don’t need to pass through passport control. This means that if you fly into Heathrow and have a connecting flight out of Gatwick, Stansted or Luton airport you will need a Visitor in Transit visa to catch your connecting flight.

    Other requirements:

    • You must arrive and depart, by air, from the same UK airport to another country outside of the Common Travel Area (UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and the Republic of Ireland)
    • You need to be properly documented for your onward destination
    • You are also exempt if you possess an EEA or Swiss category D visa or an Irish biometric visa

    Without a valid visa from one of the countries listed above or a valid UK visa or passport, you will have to apply for and purchase a transit visa. The good news is that the price has been reduced and you now have two years to use your transit visa from the date of issue.

    Transit Visas fall into two categories:

    • Direct Airside Transit visa (DATV) £30 – Lasts 24 hours and does not allow you to pass through passport control.
    • Visitor in Transit visa £54 – Lasts 48 hours and allows you to pass through passport control (necessary if you are travelling on to another UK airport or region inside the Common travel Area).

    You will need to provide two full-colour passport photos, a current passport and all other valid travel documents when applying.

    For fast, expert assistance with your UK visa or passport that beats the queues, visit 1st Contact Visas.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.