close menu

Get world-class medical care in the UK: The immigration health surcharge

by 1st Contact | Dec 22, 2016
  • The National Health Service (NHS) provides free basic medical care to UK and EU citizens as well as UK visa holders. If you need a visa to travel to the UK, you may need to pay the immigration health surcharge to get access to the service.
  • National health service

    Who needs to pay the health surcharge?

    If you are moving to the UK for more than six months and you are a non-EU citizen, you must pay the health surcharge – regardless of whether you have private medical insurance. This will entitle you to use the NHS while you’re staying in the UK.

    If you are visiting England for less than six months, or if you did not pay the surcharge when you were required to, you will be charged for any NHS services that you make use of during your stay.

    If you’ve been awarded indefinite leave to remain, you will not have to pay the surcharge.

    How much you will pay

    The amount will depend on the type of visa you hold:

    • It’s £150 per year for Tier 4 student or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa holders
    • It’s £200 per year for all other visa classes and dependants thereof

    If you’re planning on staying in the UK for five years on a Tier 2 visa, you must pay £1,000 upfront when applying for your permit. A student staying for the same amount of time would pay £750.

    Although most healthcare is covered by the NHS, you will be required to make contributions toward certain costs, such as prescriptions, dental care and eye care.

    How to pay

    You must pay the health surcharge before completing your visa application – whether you’re applying online, at a visa service centre or by post.

    Ensure that you know the start and end dates of your certificate of sponsorship if you’re on a Tier 2 visa (or your course dates if you’re a student) as well as your passport number as you may be asked for this information when applying.

    The fee must be paid using a debit or credit card on HMRC’s website.

    Immigration health surcharge refunds

    If your visa application is refused, or you withdraw your application, the fee will be automatically refunded to the account you made the payment from.

    You will get a partial refund if you are granted less time than you applied for or if any dependants on your visa application are refused.

    If you have any queries relating to your visa options, give our UK immigration experts a call on +27 (0) 21 657 2180  or email us at

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.