close menu

Get your UK tax refund as quickly as possible

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Oct 30, 2017
  • If you’re looking to claim your tax back from HMRC, you’ll need to ensure you have the relevant documents in order before you begin the process. This is what you need to sort out before you can claim back your hard-earned cash.
  • catching-money

    You’re going to need these documents

    P60 tax form

    The very first thing you’ll need to do is get your hands on your P60 tax form. This is also known as an “End of Year Certificate”. Your P60 contains a summary of your pay and tax details for the tax year, which runs from 5 April to 6 April the following year.

    Your employer should give you your P60 by 31 May, either electronically or on paper. You need this form to claim back any overpaid tax and complete your Self Assessment tax return.

    If your employer hasn’t already given you a copy of your P60, request that they send it to you as soon as possible. Not only do you need it to claim back your tax, but it serves as a proof of income should you want to apply for a loan or mortgage.

    P45 tax form

    If you worked for an employer for only a portion of the tax year, you will receive a P45 instead of a P60 form. This form indicates how much tax has been paid by you during the relevant tax year. It should be given to you on your final day of employment. This form can also be used when claiming your tax refund.

    If you have misplaced your P60 or P45, you can contact a tax agent to track down the forms on your behalf.

    Find out exactly how much you’re owed

    Once you have your P60, you can start the process of claiming back your overpaid tax. The next step is to figure out exactly how much you’re owed. You can do this manually the difficult way, or you can simply use an online tax refunds calculator, which will generate the approximate amount that is due to you.

    Consult a tax agent

    The admin involved in claiming your tax refund can be a hassle. Don’t let this stop you from getting your money back. If you’d rather skip the paperwork, a tax refunds agent  can sort all of it out for you. This is the best way to ensure that you get your full tax refund as quickly as possible.

    Over the past 15 years, we’ve processed over 200,000 successful claims. To find out if you’re eligible for a refund, use our tax refund calculator, or if you know you’re due a refund, complete our online tax refund claim form.

    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • airport-waiting-takeoff-plane
      5 pro tips for surviving your long-haul flight
      Dec 19, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • young-friends-drinking-beer-at-pub
      10 interesting facts about the UK working holiday visa
      Nov 27, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • big-ben-on-union-jack
      How long it will take to qualify for ILR in 2018
      Nov 23, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • blog autumn budget summary
      Autumn Budget 2017: Summary points
      Nov 22, 2017  |  by Scott Brown
    • couple-marriage
      Getting married in the UK? You may need a Marriage Visitor visa
      Nov 21, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • isle-of-skye-uk
      The top 10 places to visit in the UK (that are not London)
      Nov 08, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • container-ship-at-sea
      When are my shipped goods going to arrive?
      Oct 31, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • catching-money
      Get your UK tax refund as quickly as possible
      Oct 30, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • london-skyline
      The financial requirement for your UK working holiday visa has changed
      Oct 25, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.