close menu

Tax refund jargon buster

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Aug 11, 2014
  • Tax terminology has a reputation for being complicated, but it's easy to digest once you speak the language. Start off by using our tax refund jargon buster, designed to remove the stress of your annual tax return.
  • 82_Tax-refund-jargon-buster
    • Allowances: Tax-free amounts set by the government each year. Nearly everyone who lives and works in the UK is entitled to an Income Tax Personal Allowance, which is essentially the amount of income you may receive each year without having to pay tax on it.
    • Basic Rate Tax: The standard percentage of tax that you pay. This is currently 20%, meaning you pay 20p for every taxable £1 you earn at the basic rate.
    • Benefits: The term for anything your employer gives you other than your salary - this can include a company car, medical or dental insurance and accommodation.
    • Deductions: Items deducted off your earnings to get to your taxable income - they reduce your tax payable and increase any refund due to you.
    • Gross income: The salary you earn before any tax is deducted.
    • National Insurance (NI) number: Issued to anyone who is legally allowed to work in the UK. Yours is a unique number and can be found on your payslips, tax returns and other relevant tax documents.
    • PAYE: A system for paying income tax and national insurance contributions, whereby your employer deducts these contributions from your salary before paying you.
    • P45: A form showing your taxable pay and tax paid from the start of the tax year up to your leaving date. It is issued by your employer when you leave a job.
    • P60: This form is issued by your employer just after the end of the tax year and shows taxable pay and tax deducted, the tax code operated on, details of national insurance contributions paid, and any relevant deductions.
    • Self Assessment tax return: Issued by the Tax Office to all individuals who have to report their income and pay tax. Those who are self-employed must fill and file a Self Assessment tax return by 31 January following the end of the tax year.
    • Tax refund: Payments from HMRC to someone who has paid too much tax in any particular year. They used to be called tax rebates. A tax refund is a repayment of tax that you have overpaid during the tax year, as determined by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
    • Tax year: Also known as the financial year or the year of assessment, the tax year runs from April 6 until April 5 the following year. So the 2012/2013 tax year was 6 April 2012 to 5 April 2013.
    • Unique Tax Reference: All those registered as self-employed are issued with a Unique Tax Reference (UTR). The format is 10 numbers in two groups of five (e.g. 12345 67890) and can be found on your tax return and most other correspondence from HMRC.

    Not yet applied for your tax refund? You could be due a bundle. Visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for your free assessment.

    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Bulldozer through maze
      How to open a UK bank account as an Australian
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood
    • work environment
      Why UK contractors don’t trust HMRC’s online IR35 calculator
      Jul 11, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.