close menu

South African entrepreneurs: This could be your ticket to the UK

by Scott Brown | Feb 23, 2017
  • The UK has always been a great place to do business, with hundreds of start-ups and entrepreneurs flocking to London every year. The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa allows anyone outside the EU to get in on this action through a capital investment into an existing or new UK business.
  • work environment

    Visa requirements

    This visa allows applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland to take advantage of investment opportunities in the UK and set up or run one or more UK business.

    The minimum investment amount is £50,000 if you are extending your visa from within the UK and £200,000 if you are applying for a new visa from outside the UK. Depending on how much you invest, the conditions and eligibility requirements of this visa class change.

    The funds you invest must be freely available to be transferred into a UK business.

    You will also have to be able to support yourself during your stay and you will need to score 95 points as part of an immigration test specific to this visa class. Applicants also have to meet the English language requirements and be over the age of 16.

    UK business partnerships are also a possibility allowing you to share the investment amount with one other applicant. Both individuals will need to meet the other visa requirements independently.


    Your dependants (classified as your partner, children under 18 and some children over 18) can join you on your Tier 1 visa. If these dependants are from the EEA or Switzerland, they will not require a visa.

    Application fees

    Who you’re applying for Apply online or by post Apply in person outside the UK
    You £1,204 £963
    You (if you’re from Turkey or Macedonia) £1,149 £908
    All dependants £1,204 each person £963 each person

    Processing times

    Times will always vary, but you should get an answer within three weeks of your application date. Note as well, you will only be allowed to apply three months before your date of departure.

    Visa duration

    This Tier 1 visa will allow you to stay in the UK for three years and four months. After this initial period, you may apply to extend your stay by another two years.

    Once you’ve spent five consecutive years in the UK on the same visa, you’ll be able to apply for ILR.

    Visa restrictions

    You won’t be able to work outside of the business you are investing in. That means you won’t be able to be employed by another business if you are on a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa. You will also not be allowed to draw public funds like housing benefits or state pension.

    The UK Tier 1 Entrepreneur Investment Programme

    Our sister company, Sable International, runs a programme that takes the guesswork out of applying for a UK entrepreneur visa. Through this programme, your skill as an investor is matched with a range of pre-qualified business investment opportunities made available by Sable International.

    You’ll not only have the chance to make a profitable investment, but also migrate with your family to the UK.

    If you’re thinking about making the UK your new home, chat to one of our visa experts by calling +27 (0) 21 657 2180 or pop us an email on

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.