close menu

New work visa proposed for Indian students in the UK

by John Dunn | Dec 21, 2015
  • Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, wants to introduce an innovative work visa for Indian students. This new permit will allow them to work in the UK for two years after completing their studies at a British university.
  • Immigration

    Johnson has proposed a trial of the visa with Indian citizens. If this is successful it could be extended to other Commonwealth students. A similar two-year work programme will also be rolled out for overseas graduates with qualifications in science, engineering and technology.

    London welcomes more than 100,000 international students each year. Over the next five years this is expected to increase by 55,000, which will bring an extra £1 billion to the capital’s economy.

    India supplies the third largest proportion of international students in the city, after China and the United States. In 2014, Indian students generated £130 million in revenue, equating to the creation and sustainment of 1,643 jobs.

    After the Post Study Work visa was discontinued in 2012, the number of Indian students at British universities dropped dramatically. By 2014, only 4% of all international students were from India, down from 10% in 2010.

    The new visa forms part of the government’s effort to boost the number of Indian students studying in British universities. The UK has recently announced that 300 scholarships, with a projected value of £1.5 million, will be made available to these students in 2016 – 2017.

    Are you planning on furthering your studies in the UK? We can help you with your Tier 4 visa. Visit our website to for more information and to start the application process.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.