Aussies: Move to the UK with your partner in 2017

If you’re Australian and your partner is a British citizen, or is a permanent resident in the UK, you can apply for a spouse or partner visa allowing you to work and live in the UK. There are more than a few eligibility requirements for this visa so it’s best to be clued up before you apply. We break down some of the spouse visa requirements so you can easily check whether you qualify.

Detail of a young couple's journey

UK spouse visas at a glance

All those from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) who are in a relationship with a British citizen, or person who has permanent residence in the UK, will have to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

Depending on whether you’re married to your partner or not, you will apply for either the married or unmarried partner visa, which are each valid for three years. These visas will grant you full rights to live and work in the UK.

There are certain financial thresholds that your partner will need to meet for you to qualify for a partner visa. You will also need to prove that you have been in a relationship with the settled person for at least two years, or married, when you apply.

Financial requirements

The minimum income threshold requires that a UK citizen or settled person in the relationship must earn at least £18,600 per year, before tax.

If you have a child, this threshold increases to £22,400 per year. Every subsequent child will require an additional £2,400 per year to be added to this amount.

You can meet the financial requirement through a combination of income from:

  • Employment or self-employment
  • Dividends, investments or cash savings
  • A pension
  • Maternity, paternity or sick pay

It’s best to have a good look at your financial circumstances before applying. This way you can determine the best way for you to meet the financial requirements.

Providing evidence of your relationship

The most common reason UK spouse visa applications are rejected is due to insufficient supporting documents.

You will need to provide evidence that you are in a genuine relationship. This may include documents that show:

  • You have lived together
  • You have been together for longer than two years
  • You have shared a bank or savings account
  • You have children together
  • You are married

Documents showing that one or all of these circumstances exist will support your case for a UK spouse or partner visa.

If you’re ready to make the move with your partner, we can help. Send us an email at or give us a call on +61 (3) 8651 4500 to give your application the best chance of success.

, ,

  • eM

    I already hold a EU passport but am worried with Brexit that once we move there I’d be kicked out shortly after once they’ve left the EU union. So can I apply for a spouse visa? My husband has dual uk & Aus citizenship. Will he have to secure a job in the UK first before we can apply? As we currently live in Aus do we have to provide more proof other then what’s listed above to get the visa? Thank you :)

    • 1st Contact

      Hi, this would certainly be possible but for more specifics on the procedure and qualifying criteria I would suggest you contact our immigration team directly on

  • Max LeRoy

    I’m currently in the UK on a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility). I’ve been with my partner who is a British citizen for the last 4 years (2 in Aus, 2 here) – could I switch from Tier 5 to Spousal Visa as an unmarried partner? Am I able to apply from within the UK?

    • 1st Contact

      Hi Max,

      Should you be able to prove 24 months worth of cohabitation, you may be able to switch to the unmarried partner visa.
      This can be done from within the UK, provided you apply prior to your current visa expiring.

      • Max LeRoy

        Thanks for your reply. My entry visa is valid 14/03/15 to 14/03/17, and I am stamped as arrived on 23/04/15. As I was not in the country until 23 April, I am unable to prove lodging for 24 months until April 2017. Is this okay??

        • 1st Contact

          I note that your visa has expired, and you would have to leave the UK and reapply from your home country. Unfortunately you would have to show 24 months cohabitation so it would be a problem.

  • Emma

    Hi! I am a Kiwi married to a Brit in NZ. We live in NZ permanently, but are needing to come back to the UK for 6 months. I have previously had an ancestry visa. Am I still entitled to a spousal visa even though we permanently reside outside of the UK? Alternatively can I apply for another ancestry visa? Thanks for your help.

  • Eliza

    With regards to the financial requirements:
    -Dividends, investments or cash savings.
    Would the investments include a managed fund in the UK?