Overstayers Run Risk of Losing Rights to Come Back

After the 12th of October 2012, any person who has overstayed in the UK for more than 28 days in most visa categories (including Ancestry) will not be able to acquire an extension of stay or Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Even those who do leave the UK after overstaying for more than 28 days will be hindering their chances for re-entering, as they may not be able to apply for entry clearance unless or until they have been out of the UK for more than 12 months.

For more information on UK visas, contact 1st Contact Visas For more information or for advice regarding UK visas, visit www.1stcontactvisas.com or call 0808 141 1664 to speak to a qualified visa consultant.



  • Matt

    Hi There,

    In 2009 I mistakingly overstayed my Ancestry visa. I was managing a bar when the owner fell seriously ill, as I had to then manage his other bar as well. I didn’t realise my date of expiry was 12/9/2009 and thought it was 9/12/2009, I know I should have known this but a five year visa expiry date is not on the front of my mind at all times. As soon as I realised my error I resigned from my position, and notified immigration of my status along with a letter from my boss and his doctors. I left voluntarily but ended up overstaying by 112 days. I tried to reapply for another ancestry visa when I returned to Australia but was told I could not return for one year.

    Will I still be able to renter the UK on another ancestry visa due to this error and the new laws coming into effect, even though this was 3 years ago?

  • http://www.1stcontactvisas.com John Dunn

    Hi Matt,

    The new laws are more for people that are still currently in the United Kingdom.

    You can now reapply for the visa nad because you left willingly after you realised you had overstayed, it should not impact your new application.

    You will need the letters and evidence you provided as well just as a reference if possible.

    I trust that answers your question sufficently

  • Matt

    Can I use my last expired ancestry visas as ancestral proof to apply for a new ancestry visa?

    I used my first one with no birth certs when I applied for my 2nd ancestry visa.

    I was hoping I can just send in my old passport which now has two expired ancestry visas, both issued in Australia, which is where I am now.

    I cant get ILR due to staying time in UK & I cant find the Birth certs anywhere.

    Im worried as ordering new ones from UK will take forever and I will miss why I am going to US on the way to UK.