close menu

How to create a VAT invoice

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Oct 11, 2016
  • Whether you are a freelancer, a sole-trader or a contractor in the UK, it’s essential to know how to create a valid VAT invoice. We share a few basic facts and tips to help you out.
  • VAT invoice

    The basics

    Value added Tax (VAT) is charged on sales made. As a standard VAT-registered business, you charge VAT on sales and can claim VAT on purchases made from other VAT-registered businesses.

    VAT invoices are not the same as:

    • Pro-forma invoices
    • Invoices that include the phrase “this is not a tax invoice”
    • Statements
    • Delivery notes
    • Customer orders
    • Quotations

    What must be included on a VAT invoice?

    A VAT invoice must include the following to be recognised by HMRC:

    • A unique, sequential invoice number
    • Your name or trading name and address
    • Your VAT registration number
    • The invoice date
    • The time of supply, also referred to as “tax point”, if this is different from the date above
    • The customer’s name or trading name and address
    • A description of the goods or services supplied

    In addition to this general information, you’ll need to show a breakdown for each different item or service listed on the invoice:

    • Unit price excluding VAT
    • Quantity of goods or the details of the service
    • Rate of VAT that applies to the item or service
    • Total amount payable, excluding VAT
    • Rate of any cash discount, if applicable
    • Total amount of VAT charged

    When can you use a simplified VAT invoice?

    If you need to invoice for goods or services for £250 or less, including VAT, you are able to supply a simplified invoice. This will need to show:

    • Your name and address
    • Your VAT registration number
    • The time of supply (tax point)
    • A description of the goods or services

    There’s better news still – you don’t need to issue a VAT invoice if:

    • Your invoice only lists exempt or zero-ratedsales within the UK
    • You’re giving goods as a gift
    • You sell goods under aVAT second-hand margin scheme
    • Your customer operates a self-billing arrangement

    Make sure you’re on the right side of HMRC. Our team of experienced accountants are able to guide you, so you can get down to business. Contact us on +44 (0) 808 141 1643 to get started.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.