close menu

How to claim a construction worker tax rebate quickly and easily

by John Dunn | Jul 31, 2014
  • Does the thought of claiming a tax refund feel similar to slamming a mallet down onto the tenderest part of your thumb? It really doesn’t have to be that way, especially if you’re contracting in the UK’s construction sector.
  • Tax refunds

    By law, contractors working in the UK’s construction industry are obliged to submit a tax return each year. This means you could be eligible for a substantial tax refund. Not only can you claim for the last four years (if you haven’t claimed during that time), you could also save on your next tax payment, if we find that you should be on a different tax code.

    Did you know that you can more than likely claim for any specialised or protective clothing you’ve purchased for your job, but also for the cost of cleaning or repairing these work clothes?

    If you use your own vehicle and pay for your own fuel, you could claim these travel costs back too. The same goes for any tools or equipment needed for your work (provided it has not paid for by your employer of course).

    So how do you go about getting your hands on what is essentially your money? Contrary to what you might think, the process is fairly simple if you follow these three steps.

    1. Fill out the online application form

    The first step is simply to fill out the online application form. We need this quick information to get an idea of how much of your money might be lying unclaimed at HMRC. This shouldn’t take longer than three minutes and won’t cost you a cent. Once you have filled out the online application, you can also get an idea of how much you might receive, via our tax refund calculator.

    2. Put together your claim pack

    Getting together the right paperwork is the part that sounds most dreary, but the instructions will be very clear and your refund consultant is just a phone call away. For this part of the process, you will need your relevant P60s and P45s for the years you are claiming for. If you don’t have them all, send an email or make a phone call and they should be in your possession in no time. And if you need help getting your hands on them, your 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant can assist you with that too.

    3. Relax and let us do the rest

    Once you’ve mailed the claim pack to our offices, your work is done. From there it’s up to us. We’ll submit your claim and, if necessary, liaise with HMRC on your behalf. Our experience, coupled with a good working relationship with HMRC, allows us to do this quickly and efficiently. 1st Contact Tax Refunds also works on a strict no-refund, no-fee policy. So if your claim is not successful, the only expense you’ll incur is the price of a stamp. If you are no longer working in the UK, you can still submit a claim, and we’ll transfer your money to the country of your choice.

    Get the ball rolling today by speaking to a qualified 1st Contact Tax Refunds consultant on +44 (0) 808 141 5503 or visit 1st Contact Tax Refunds for a free assessment.

    • man-on-carousal
      Don’t leave the airport without it: 6 tips to ensure you hold on to your luggage
      Sep 22, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • container-ship-and-plane
      By sea, air or road: Which method of shipment is right for you?
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • atm-hand-cards-bank
      How to open a bank account in the UK
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy-man-with-pounds
      Recently stopped working? You might have a tax refund waiting for you
      Sep 13, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • london-big-ben-royal-guard-pattern
      How to ace your UK citizenship tests
      Aug 23, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.