Did you overpay on tax? Here’s how to find out.

One in every three people is due a UK tax refund, but millions of Pounds lie unclaimed with HMRC every year. We share the most common signs that you could be owed a tax refund. After all, who doesn’t like a surprise cheque in the mail?

Businessman holding wad of cash

Why would you have overpaid tax?

You may have paid too much tax if you:

  • Had more than one job
  • Did not work a full tax year
  • Were on the incorrect tax code

The UK tax system assumes that you will be employed for the full tax year, which runs from 6 April to 5 April the following year. If you didn’t work for the whole period, you may have overpaid your tax. This means that HMRC owes you a tax refund. This applies even if your earnings exceeded the tax-free allowance.

If your earnings fell below the tax-free allowance, you will be able to claim back all of the tax you paid for that tax year. Any tax rebates that you haven’t claimed in the last five years can also still be recovered.

While certain criteria do apply, over 95% of people are able to make a claim, even after they’ve left the UK. Our tax refund calculator will estimate your refund, in seconds.

How do you get your money back?

It’s pretty simple. Complete this form, put your signature on a few documents, return them to us and one of our dedicated case workers will do the rest. No queues, no endless phone calls, no reason to leave the comfort of your couch.

Worried about fees? You have nothing to lose. If we don’t help you get your tax refund, you don’t owe us a cent.

And there’s more

If you have professional expenses – including mileage and uniforms – claiming for these will likely increase the tax rebate due to you. Start digging for those receipts.

Already spending your tax refund? Head on over to our Tax Rebate calculator to find out how much you’re due and let us help you get your money back.

, , ,