NI number – should you go the DIY route?

If you’re planning on moving to the UK to work or study, you will need to apply for your National Insurance Number (NINo). Torn between tackling this process alone, or outsourcing to a professional service? We give you an overview of both options, below.


What is an NI number?

Your NINo is the unique number allocated to you by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), and is used to track your tax and national insurance contributions. You can only apply for this number once you arrive in the country if you plan to work or study there. You keep this number for life, even if you change jobs.

Do I really need one?

In short, yes. While you can work for a short time with a temporary NINo, the practice of using these numbers to claim back tax is no longer allowed. You will need a permanent NINo number in order to claim back overpaid tax at the end of the year.

How to apply for your NINo

If you are planning to work in the UK, we can help you apply for your NINo in one of two ways:

The DIY route

As part of our Kickstart package we give you the basic information and contact details you need to complete your own NINo application. You make the necessary phone calls, complete the forms, book the meetings and attend interviews, which can be incredibly time consuming.

The Easy NINo route

If you don’t have hours to spend on the phone, we offer another option. For a small fee we remove the hassle – all you have to do is complete our online application form and sign a few documents. Your NINo should be sent to you within four to eight weeks. If you are applying for a NINo with a passport from a country within the European Economic Area (this includes UK passports), you will need to attend a meeting with the DWP, which we will book for you.

Spend more time exploring your new city and less time on admin. Apply for your NINo online and save yourself hours on the phone.

, , ,