With a distinctively cold, wet November predicted, why not get outdoors and enjoy everything London has to offer in the build-up to Christmas? Here are eight great things to do in London this Christmas.Bundle up warm for the winter activities, get your shopping done before the December rush, and embrace the spirit of the festive season with these great events.
1. Canary Wharf Ice Rink: 26 October 2013 to 16 February 2014
Back by popular demand, the stunning Canada Square Park rink measures almost 1100 square metres and is surrounded by Canary Wharf’s world famous towers. A stunning skate path allows you to glide through trees lit with fairy lights, enjoy a few refreshments at the Boisdales Jukebox Bar, or tuck into 50s themed food while watching the skaters from the viewing terrace.
2. Skate at Somerset House: 14 November 2013 to 5 January 2014
Undoubtedly one of the more glamorous ice rinks in London, where you can also enjoy champagne and chocolate, shop at the Christmas arcade (till late on Tuesdays), and skate to top international and local DJs during the club night sessions.
3. Hyde Park Winter Wonderland: 23 November 2013 to 5 January 2014
From late November and all through December a large area of Hyde Park is transformed into a winter wonderland for young and old to enjoy. A large ice rink, fairground rides, giant observation wheel, Zippos Circus, a Christmas market, food and drink stalls (not to mention Santa’s Grotto) are some of the things that will keep you entertained for hours.
4. Taste of Christmas: 21 – 24 November 2013 at Tobacco Dock, 50 Porters Walk, Tower Hamlets
If you’re a foodie, this is one event you must attend. Enjoy live cooking demonstrations, shop for top seasonal ingredients and sample tasty treats from a multitude of food stalls from London’s top restaurants.
5. Spirit of Christmas Fair: 5 – 10 November 2013 at Olympia, Hammersmith Road, Kensington
Get your Christmas shopping done under one roof at Olympia, with more than 600 stalls offering everything from the finest seasonal products and festive decorations to children’s toys and seasonal treats.
6. Ideal Home Show at Christmas: 13 – 17 November at Earls Court Exhibition Centre, Warwick Road, Earls Court
The third ‘Ideal Home Show at Christmas’ will take place at Earls Court this November and promises to be the largest home event of the winter. More than 500 stalls will offer gadgets and gizmos, gifts, decorations, interior and home improvement ideas, food and drink and fashion. There will be celebrity guests, as well as a ‘How to’ Theatre where experts will demonstrate various home improvement and décor tips and inspiration.
7. Christmas light switch-on events:
- Oxford Street Christmas lights switch on – 12th November 2013 – 5th February 2014
- Christmas Lights On and Lantern Parade at Greenwich Market – 27th November 2013 (Lantern Parade 4pm – 5pm)
- South Molton Street Christmas Lights Switch On – 14th November, South Molton Street, Mayfair
- Brent Cross Christmas Lights Switch On – 14th November 2013, Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- Carnaby Street Christmas Lights Switch On – 14th November 2013
8. Harrods Christmas Grotto: 13 November – 5 January 2014
Once again Harrods will be hosting a fun and interactive Christmas Grotto this year. If you are a Harrods Rewards Member, be sure to book a ticket and let your little ones meet Father Christmas and take home an exclusive book, badge and Christmas chocolate.