1st Contact urges individuals to not be fooled by fraudsters who claim to be HMRC officials. In order to safe guard against this, 1st Contact advises you to view the example below of a typical fraudulent e-mail, in an attempt to get the banking details of unsuspecting individuals. In addition to this, it is crucial to note of the following in order to avoid being made a victim of Tax Fraud:
- The website address for HMRC is http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm,
- The government uses .gov.uk domains and never.co.uk domains
- HMRC will never send you an email regarding a tax refund. The only way HMRC will communicate with you regarding a refund is by post
- The form that is sent as an attachment opens in your web browser, but does not show the web address in the address bar
- NEVER give out any passwords; they are not required to put money into your account, only to take your money out
- If you are ever in any doubt contact 1st Contact Accounting to confirm
Example Scan email:
From: HM Revenue & Customs
Subject: TAX REFUND ID NUMBER: 381716209
TAX RETURN FOR THE YEAR 2009
RECALCULATION OF YOUR TAX REFUND
LOCAL OFFICE No. 3819
TAX CREDIT OFFICER: Helen Hughes
TAX REFUND ID NUMBER: 381716209
REFUND AMOUNT: 327.54 GBP
The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and as
applicable, copyright in these is reserved to HM Revenue & Customs.
Unless expressly authorised by us, any further dissemination or
distribution of this email or its attachments is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please reply to
inform us that you have received this email in error and then delete it
without retaining any copy.
I am sending this email to announce: After the last annual calculation of
your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a
tax refund of 327.54 GBP
You have attached the tax return form with the TAX REFUND NUMBER ID: 381716289,
complete the tax return form attached to this message.
After completing the form, please submit the form by clicking the SUBMIT
button on form and allow us 5-9 business days in order to process it.
Our head office address can be found on our web site at http://www.hmrc.co.uk/
HMRC Tax Credit Office