4 Top Reasons People don’t Claim their Tax Refund

It is estimated that 1 in 3 people who work or have worked in the UK are due tax back and there are literally million of Pounds lying at Home Office waiting to be claimed.

Who wouldn’t want an average of £850 paid back to them?

Why is this money not being claimed? We look at the top 4 reasons people don’t claim their tax rebates and offer some advice for claiming YOUR overpaid tax back!

1. Rebates are for visitors and foreigners

Many UK residents are under the mistaken impression that tax rebates are for foreigners who work in the UK for a short time. The truth is ANYONE who has worked in the UK could be due a tax rebate. These are a few of the reasons you may be entitled to apply for a tax refund:

  1. If you have paid Emergency Tax in the last 4 years
  2. If you’ve left the UK before the end of a tax year (6 April to 5 May)
  3. If you’ve had more than 1 employer in a tax year
  4. If you’ve worked for only part of a tax year
  5. If you have been on an incorrect Tax code at any point in the last 4 years
  6. If you’ve had two or more jobs concurrently

If any of these apply to you, you may well have overpaid tax and be due a rebate!

2. It is just not worth the effort

Did you know that the average claimed back is in the region of £850? Don’t let a bit of paperwork put you off taking back what is rightfully yours. If you are properly prepared, then it needn’t be a cumbersome process, especially if you enlist the help of 1st Contact Tax Refunds, who work on a no refund – no fee policy! This is what you will need. It may seem like a lot, but once you’ve got your ducks in a row, the process is easy and you could have your money within a few weeks!

  • You will need to give exact information of the companies you have worked for in the previous 4 tax years.
  • You will need to supply P60’s and P45’s from these jobs.
  • If these cannot be obtained, you will then need to ask for a Statement of Earnings from the HR Department of the companies you worked for.
  • You will need to supply us with your National Insurance number.

3. I don’t have the correct forms

Many people have tried once to apply for a rebate, only to find that they don’t have a P60 or P45, and given up!

If you don’t have P60’s or P45’s from your previous employers, a 1st Contact Tax Refund consultant can assist you by applying for these on your behalf. If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you will have to apply for and receive your NI number before you can claim back your overpaid tax – yes, a 1st Contact Consultant can help you with that too!

4. It’s too late

Many people assume that if they have not tried to claim tax back for the previous tax year, it’s too late. This is not true – you may claim your overpaid tax back for the previous 4 tax years, which could add up to quite a bit of money in your pocket!

Use the Industry Leaders to claim your money back

Here are some of the many reasons 1st Contact Tax Refunds are the best in the business and your best chance at receiving your money back with a minimum amount of hassle on your part:

  • Only 12.5 % commission on successful claims
  • We are the UK’s largest tax agent
  • We have 15 years experience in tax claim management
  • ATA accredited, providing maximum protection for your claim
  • Highly individualised service to customers with regular updates
  • Guarantee of a successful claim if you are due a refund
  • Avoid the admin hassle associated with managing your claim
  • No need to wait in queues at HMRC
  • We track the progress of your claim on your behalf

Even with our efficient service and direct line to HMCR, it can take up to 6 weeks before you receive your hands on the pounds due to you.

Call a 1st Contact Tax Refund Consultant on 0808 141 5503 as soon as possible – let’s get the ball rolling today!

  • Mike Sweidan

    Hi there

    I want to check if I am due a tax refund from all the years I have worked.

    My National Insurance number is SH32 45 52A. I worked for Goldman Sachs International and now work for BlueCrest Capital.

    Flat 10
    1 Parkhill Road
    NW3 2YJ

  • Tai Williams

    I definitely fulfilled all of the above criteria. Imagine my utmost surprise – and I didn’t even file – to receive a cheque from the tax refund for 940 pounds! Again, I was in shock, because I knew that I was due a refund but did not put anything forward to claim.

  • Low Chee Wah

    Dear sir I have worked in the UK from 1981 to 2001.I left the uk in 2001.Can I claim back all those years of NI contributions?