close menu

Expand your business to Australia

by Sam Hopwood | Mar 31, 2016
  • The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) is a popular visa category for applicants who are sponsored by an approved Australian company. What most applicants are unaware of is that this visa can also be used by overseas businesses wishing to expand into Australia and employ foreign citizens.
  • Expand your business to Australia

    A prospective overseas business must demonstrate that they are lawfully operating outside of Australia and that the business has a legitimate need to establish an Australian operation.

    In order to prove that the company has a legitimate need to operate in Australia, the owners must produce a detailed business plan explaining the expansion strategy.

    This legitimate need will further be established where the owners can produce evidence of either:

    • Contractual agreements for the supply of goods and services to Australian-based businesses, indicating that local businesses would benefit from a local operation being established, or
    • An agreement to enter into a joint venture between the overseas business and an Australian-based entity

    Once the overseas business has been classified as a sponsor, it may then nominate positions for which foreign citizens may apply. The nomination application must demonstrate that the position requires suitable skills and complies with local labour market conditions, such as salary and working conditions.

    There are no age restrictions for this visa and the English language requirements are greatly reduced in comparison to other visa categories. However, applicants must still demonstrate that they have the suitable skills, qualifications and experience the position requires.

    The 457 visa is a temporary visa, which allows successful applicants to live and work in Australia for four years. After this time, the holder can apply for an extension.

    If the employee has lived and worked in Australia for two years and meets all of the relevant criteria, they may apply for permanent residence.

    Think you might qualify for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)? Take our online visa assessment now. Have questions? Our team is ready to help. Email us or call us on +61 3 8651 4500.

    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Bulldozer through maze
      How to open a UK bank account as an Australian
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.