close menu

Could you have paid too much tax?

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Apr 25, 2016
  • If you’ve changed jobs, earnings or benefits during the last tax year, you could be entitled to a tax refund. It’s always great to have a little extra cash in your back pocket, so we’ve rounded up the 10 most common ways that you could have paid too much tax.
  • Could you have paid too much tax

    Some credits, such as the PAYE tax credit, are given automatically, while others need to be claimed. If you have overpaid on tax in any way, you can claim for payments made over the past four years.

    Below are the most common scenarios in which you could have paid too much tax:

    1. You started a new job and had an emergency tax code for any period of time. If you have worked with a tax code starting with BR and OT, you will very likely be due a tax refund. Tax codes 1100L W1, 1100L M1 and 1100L X will generally result in the correct amount of tax being paid, but it is always worth checking for overpayments under these codes.
    2. Your employer was using the wrong tax code. You can find your tax code on your P2 Notice of Coding, your P45, or on your wages or pension payslip.
    1. You were not employed for the full year.
    1. You are or were a student who only worked during holidays and didn’t complete form P38S.
    1. You had more than one job at the same time.
    1. You had other income, which was taxed using your PAYE code. An example of this could be where HMRC has attempted to collect the tax due on savings or rental income via your PAYE code, but the amount that has been included in the code is too high.
    1. You stopped working and didn’t receive any taxable earnings or benefits for the rest of the year.
    1. Your employment circumstances changed. For example, you retired, were made redundant or became self-employed.
    1. You have taken a pension in the form of a lump sum rather than a small monthly amount. This often results in the tax paid on the lump sum being higher than the basic rate of tax.
    1. If you have worked as a subcontractor in the construction industry on the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) basis. In this case, you would have paid tax in advance as the contractor usually deducts a proportion of the money due to their subcontractor at source. The deducted amount is then passed directly to HMRC and counts towards the subcontractor’s tax and National Insurance. Please note that CIS requires a Self-Assessment tax return to be filed.

    How do you get your money back?

    Quite easily. Complete this form, send us a few signed documents, and we’ll do the rest. No need to worry about long queues or endless phone calls. Get your money back from the comfort of your couch.

    We operate on a strict no refund, no fee policy – so you have nothing to lose and possibly hundreds of Pounds to gain.

    Ready to get started? Fill out our online tax refund assessment form as a guideline of what you might be owed, or call us on +44 (0) 808 141 5503.

    • man-on-carousal
      Don’t leave the airport without it: 6 tips to ensure you hold on to your luggage
      Sep 22, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • container-ship-and-plane
      By sea, air or road: Which method of shipment is right for you?
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • atm-hand-cards-bank
      How to open a bank account in the UK
      Sep 14, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy-man-with-pounds
      Recently stopped working? You might have a tax refund waiting for you
      Sep 13, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • london-big-ben-royal-guard-pattern
      How to ace your UK citizenship tests
      Aug 23, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • big-ben-london
      Start your life in the UK the stress-free way
      Aug 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by John Dunn

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.