close menu

Aussies: Move to the UK with your partner in 2017

by Sam Hopwood | Jan 18, 2017
  • If you’re Australian and your partner is a British citizen, or is a permanent resident in the UK, you can apply for a spouse or partner visa allowing you to work and live in the UK. There are more than a few eligibility requirements for this visa so it’s best to be clued up before you apply. We break down some of the spouse visa requirements so you can easily check whether you qualify.
  • Move to the UK

    UK spouse visas at a glance

    All those from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) who are in a relationship with a British citizen, or person who has permanent residence in the UK, will have to apply for a visa to enter the UK.

    Depending on whether you’re married to your partner or not, you will apply for either the married or unmarried partner visa, which are each valid for three years. These visas will grant you full rights to live and work in the UK.

    There are certain financial thresholds that your partner will need to meet for you to qualify for a partner visa. You will also need to prove that you have been in a relationship with the settled person for at least two years, or married, when you apply.

    Financial requirements

    The minimum income threshold requires that a UK citizen or settled person in the relationship must earn at least £18,600 per year, before tax.

    If you have a child, this threshold increases to £22,400 per year. Every subsequent child will require an additional £2,400 per year to be added to this amount.

    You can meet the financial requirement through a combination of income from:

    • Employment or self-employment
    • Dividends, investments or cash savings
    • A pension
    • Maternity, paternity or sick pay

    It’s best to have a good look at your financial circumstances before applying. This way you can determine the best way for you to meet the financial requirements.

    Providing evidence of your relationship

    The most common reason UK spouse visa applications are rejected is due to insufficient supporting documents.

    You will need to provide evidence that you are in a genuine relationship. This may include documents that show:

    • You have lived together
    • You have been together for longer than two years
    • You have shared a bank or savings account
    • You have children together
    • You are married

    Documents showing that one or all of these circumstances exist will support your case for a UK spouse or partner visa.

    If you’re ready to make the move with your partner, we can help. Send us an email at or give us a call on +61 (3) 8651 4500 to give your application the best chance of success.

    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Bulldozer through maze
      How to open a UK bank account as an Australian
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.