close menu

Alternative English tests for Australian visa applicants

by 1st Contact | May 24, 2011
  • For more than 45 years, Australian higher education institutions have accepted TOEFL scores for admissions. Now Australian Minister for Immigration and Citizenship Chris Bowen has announced that from 1 July student visa applicants will be able to use the US-based TOEFL test as proof of their English language proficiency.
  • Immigration

    Currently these applicants are required to provide a positive IELTS score as proof of English language proficiency to qualify for a student visa to Australia.  The TOEFL represents an extremely convenient choice as there are more than 4500 TOEFL test centres in 165 countries around the world.

    “The integrity of English language testing is important because the language test results are a key component in visa application requirements,” Mr Bowen said. 

    Two further tests are also expected to receive recognition for student visas later this year. These are the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) and Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE). 

    “These additional English language test options will help to create competition in the English language testing market, while creating more test places for student visa applicants” said Mr Bowen. “They will also provide candidates with greater choice and enable them to more quickly obtain test results needed for visa applications.”

    For advice or information on Australian visas, visit our website 

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.