close menu

A guide to UK tax forms P45, P60 and P11D

by Kobus Van den Bergh | Mar 27, 2014
  • When you apply for a tax refund, you’ll need certain forms in order for everything to run smoothly. These UK tax forms are usually given to you by your employer or sent to HMRC , depending on your circumstances. Here you'll find a quick guide to forms P45, P60 and P11D.
  • 66_A-guide-to-UK-tax-forms-P45,-P60-and-P11D


    A P45 form is given to you by your employer when you stop working for them. This form shows how much tax you’ve paid on your salary during the relevant tax year, and determines if you’ve overpaid tax and are due a refund.

    A P45 has four parts (Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3). Your employer sends Part 1 to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and you hold on to the other parts. You will then give parts two and three to your new employer (or to Jobcentre Plus if you’re unemployed). Part 1A must be kept safe for your own records.

    By law, your employer must give you a P45, so make sure you receive one.



    Your P60 form can be paper or electronic and shows the tax you’ve paid on your salary during the tax year (6 April to 5 April). This form is also used to calculate how much tax you paid and needs to be submitted in order to claim back overpaid tax, to apply for tax credits, or to provide proof of your income if you apply for a loan or mortgage.

    Your employer must issue your P60 form by 31 May.



    Your employer needs to send a P11D to HMRC if you receive any ‘benefits in kind’ (e.g. a company car), and if your earnings (including the value of company benefits) total a minimum of £8,500 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April). The P11D records how much each benefit is worth; you should either receive a copy of the form or a notice of what was recorded and reflected on the form.

    Your employer must submit your P11D by no later than 6 July.

    If you need any assistance completing your tax return, please contact 1st Contact Tax Refunds. 1st Contact offers a no refund, no fee policy. If you're not due a refund, we won’t charge you any fees.  

    • woman-alarm-clock-scream
      Applying for an emergency UK visa in South Africa
      Aug 17, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Three friends having breakfast
      Roommates, budget and location: Your guide to finding accommodation in the UK
      Aug 11, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Group of friends having drinks
      5 ways to meet new people in London
      Aug 07, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • SA and UK flag
      How many South Africans were granted British citizenship last year?
      Aug 03, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • Puppy
      No pet left behind: Bring your furry friends with you to the UK
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • Stoketoberfest
      Stoketoberfest is upon us
      Jul 28, 2017  |  by 1st Contact
    • heart calculator desk cash
      Stay on the right side of HMRC as a contractor
      Jul 24, 2017  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • choosing worker
      How to get a job after you’ve arrived in the UK
      Jul 21, 2017  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • happy young couple
      Don’t do the long distance thing, extend your UK spouse visa
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by John Dunn
    • Bulldozer through maze
      How to open a UK bank account as an Australian
      Jul 20, 2017  |  by Sam Hopwood

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.