close menu

A guide to the UK English language test

by John Dunn | Jul 22, 2015
  • Passing the English language test is one of the many requirements that has to be met when you apply to live in the UK as a non-European migrant. In this article we give you everything you need to know to prep for the test.
  • Immigration

    Prove your English speaking capabilities

    If you’re applying for British citizenship or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) and you’re over the age of 18 years, you might be required to prove your knowledge of the English language.

    You can prove this by having either:

    I know how to speak English, do I still have to take a test?

    In certain circumstances you won’t have to prove your knowledge of English.

    If you’re aged 65 or over, or you’re unable to due to a long-term physical or mental condition, you won’t need to prove your English knowledge. In the case of a physical or mental condition, a doctor’s letter confirming your status must be provided.

    There is also a list of nationalities exempt from taking a test. However, some countries that you might think would be on the list (such as South Africa) are not. Always double-check to make sure.

    If you’re applying to settle, there are a number of instances in which you don’t need to prove your knowledge of English.

    Change of approved Secure English Language Tests

    Following a government review of systemic exam fraud in the UK, only certain exams will be accepted for UK visa applications where formal English assessments are required.

    If you took one of these tests before 5 April 2015, they will be valid for use in a UK immigration application until 5 November 2015.

    From that date onwards, only tests from the current list of approved Secure English Language Tests (SELT) and Test Centres will be accepted.

    Need more time?

    If you’re already in the UK it is possible to extend your permission to stay, according to your visa restrictions, in order for you to prove your knowledge of English.

    You’ll need to refer to the rules regarding your current visa for instructions on how to apply for an extension.


    If you’d like further, more detailed information on the rules surrounding UK immigration, you can refer to the official immigration rules document set out by the Home Office.

    For assistance or advice regarding UK visas, get hold of 1st Contact Visas and speak to one of our knowledgeable consultants.

    • london-bus-ben
      Applying for your NI number: Don’t go it alone
      Jun 12, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • london-thames-big-ben
      10 reasons why London is still our favourite city
      May 04, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-working-at-home
      Get the most out of being a contractor in the UK by following these simple steps
      Mar 15, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • tax-hand-magnifying-glass
      Reap the benefits of submitting your Self Assessment tax return early
      Mar 02, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh
    • students-graduating
      UK student visas: Here's how you can get one
      Feb 22, 2018  |  by John Dunn
    • students-school-chalk-board
      Get your child into state-funded school in the UK
      Feb 21, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • medical-cross-and-heart
      The NHS vs Medicare: Which is better?
      Jan 30, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • big-ben-london-at-night
      What is the cost of living in London in 2018?
      Jan 25, 2018  |  by 1st Contact
    • house-key
      To rent in the UK, you absolutely need to have the right to rent
      Jan 19, 2018  |  by Leanne Shrosbree
    • man-making-more-money
      This is how contractors can take home more cash
      Jan 09, 2018  |  by Kobus Van den Bergh

    Do you like cookies? We do, read why.